RGNUL ENABLING UNIT
In consonance with the XIth Plan guidelines of the University Grants Commission, RGNUL has established an Enabling Unit named as RGNUL Enabling Unit. The Unit has been set up as per UGC policy received vide letter No. F.N. 10-3/2010(SCT).
The major functions of the Enabling Unit are as follows:
- To provide counselling to differently-abled students on the types of courses they could study at the higher education institutions.
- To ensure admission of as many differently-abled students as possible through the open quota and also through the reservation meant for them.
- To gather orders dealing with fee concessions, examination procedures, reservation policies, etc., pertaining to differently-abled persons.
- To assess the educational needs of differently abled persons enrolled in the higher education institutes to determine the types of assistive devices to be procured.
- To conduct awareness programmes for teachers of the institute about the approaches to teaching, evaluation procedures, etc, which they should address in the case of differently-abled students.
- To study the aptitude of differently-abled students and assist them in getting appropriate employment when desired by them after their studies.
- To celebrate important days pertaining to disability such as the World Disabled Day, White Cane Day, etc., in the institute and also in the neighbourhood in order to create awareness about the capabilities of differently-abled persons.
- To ensure maintenance of special assistive devices procured by the higher education institute under the Higher Education for Persons with Special Needs (HEPSN) scheme and encourage differently-abled persons to use them for enriching their learning experiences.
- The main objective of this Enabling Unit is to develop awareness in higher education system and also to provide necessary guidance and counseling to differently abled persons and to generate legal awareness on disability issues. The Unit is a congregation of legal minds who are especially sensitized to the need to focus on how the power of law can be used to counter the stereotypes and prejudices towards persons with disability. The Unit aims to pursue the cause through out the year and make efforts to foster opportunities for the differently abled persons, so that the real stakeholders are benefitted. The members of the Enabling Unit aim at creating an empowering legal discourse on disability rights with active participation of persons with disabilities, through the medium of research, training, discussion and consultation.
For further details contact
Ms. Renuka Salathia
RGNUL ENABLING UNIT
Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab
Sidhuwal-Bhadson Road, Patiala - 147 001 (Punjab), INDIA
Telephone 0175-2391600, 601, 602, 603,
0175- 2391690 (Fax)